The EPA authorized a final rule to extend certifications for specific renovators (those who received their initial EPA lead certification before March 31, 2011) under the RRP Program. Please keep in mind that EPA RRP refresher extensions only apply to renovators who receive recertification training course within the time frames described below.
Under the final rule:
- Individual renovators who received certification on or before March 31, 2010, now have until March 31, 2016, to get recertified.
- Individual renovators who received certification between April 1, 2010 and March 31, 2011, will have one year added to their 5-year certification.
- Subsequent certifications for renovators receiving the extension will be five years.
EPA RRP Course Description
EPA’s Renovation, Repair, and Painting Final Rule (40 CFR 475) requires that renovations be performed by certified firms using certified renovators. Renovation firms working in pre- 1978 homes or child occupied facilities must successfully complete a Certified Renovator Course delivered by an EPA approved training firm.
EPA RRP Refresher Topics:
- Hazards of lead based paint
- EPA and HUD regulations
- Working with lead based paint
- How to safely begin work
- How to set up with work area
- Working in a lead safe manner
- Setting up containment
- Cleaning the work area
- How to verify cleanliness
- Protective clothing
- Waste disposal
- Documentation of work
- Hands on exercises